Translate

Monday 26 April 2010

I went away...


...and got stuck for an extra five days due to the volcanic ash. I don't understand why so many people were panicking and so desperate to get back. I worried a little at the beginning for a couple of hours and then realised I'm better off being stuck in a beautiful country with wonderful people, than the rushness and greyness of London.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the place and my time away; the Greeks are really a bunch of the most kindest, friendliest and fun people I have met for a long time.

I saw so much culture and history, and the night life was just amazing. We did not feel scared in the slightest being two girls on their own - even when we were walking through one of the toughest streets at 4am (when we were advised not to do), we just had people being nice to us throughout the whole way.

On the last night, we decided to go to the beach and watch the sunset before we hit one of the bars for the last time....
It was truly breathtaking. Nothing beats the calmness of nature, just watching the sunset in an empty beach, or climbing to the highest point on a mountain and just screaming your lungs out with only the wind to hear you. 

I will probably send a thank you postcard to the hotel we were staying at (they were really kind to us throughout our entire time there) and the guys at a restaurant who really looked after us. Other than that, I am unlikely to stay in touch with anyone else I met, but that does not mean that I will EVER forget them. I am so grateful that my faith in people's kindess is slowly getting restored (although it almost got wiped away the minute I landed back in london). 

Having said that - the whole time I was away, I always remembered. How could I not?! I have made it a thing to let it consume me for this year, but thats okay. Doesn't matter where I'll be, it will always be in my heart.

A good friend of ours picked us up from the airport late at night and as soon as I got home, I ate my mum's curry.

The following day, we went to a Vaisakhi street parade which was a complete contrast to where were were that time 48hrs ago! I was so impressed about how organised and community spirited it all was. There was so much food being distributed and people of all ages helping each other out. I am not Sikh but I was made to feel welcome by everyone, including the leaders. At the end there was not a piece of litter in sight as the volunteers picked it up as they went along. I really hope other communities learn by this example instead of using their significant days to parade up and down in ridiculous suits and a limo, littering the entire streets as they go along. And, NO, I am not putting down communities or religions if that is what this last sentance insinuates - I have lived in a deeply embedded mixed asian community my entire life, so have seen it all and know what I am talking about. 

Oh, I just want to get away again!!!!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment